Learn the essentials of trade finance in our introductory-level, online certificate
Why take this certificate:
100 years of experience:
The International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) has been defining commercial rules for the last century and the GTC has been created by an unrivaled roster of international experts
Bring your trade finance knowledge up to global standards with a certification from the ICC – an institution recognised around the world
Fast-track your career:
The trade finance training you will receive in the Global Trade Certificate (GTC) is the first step towards more senior positions within your bank and advanced qualifications like the CTFP.
Save USD $600!
The GTC programme includes 14 different individual courses, with topics including letters of credit, guarantees, supply chain finance and more. Bought separately these courses would cost USD $2100
43 hours of learning:
The GTC gives you access to 43 hours of learning over 14 courses, 70 lessons and a final exam. The lessons include practical case studies, videos and assessment questions to help you grasp key concepts easily
All our courses are online meaning they can be taken at any time of day, from anywhere in the world. Fit our introductory trade finance training programme around your schedule and learn at your own pace.
These Companies Use GTC To Train Their Staff
Today, the world of international trade is far more complex than it used to be. Whether you run a business in a familiar environment, perhaps even one that is economically and politically secure and stable, it remains risky and unpredictable.
The complexities and challenges you will face grow significantly when you begin conducting trade across international borders. As the risks escalate, the payment and financing solutions and mechanisms need to be more secure, robust, and flexible.
The Global Trade Certificate (GTC) is an introductory-level certification designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of trade finance products – from letters of credit through to supply chain financing techniques. It’s an ideal trade finance training programme for professionals wanting to build an understanding of the nuts and bolts of global trade.
What Students Have said about the GTC
“The course rekindled my passion for learning about the world of international trade and trade mechanisms.”
“The GTC enabled me to crystallize my knowledge and experience in trade finance with a formal certification accredited by ICC. This has helped my employer understand the focus of my career and help me with my pathway to advancement”
Bank of the Cook Islands
“The knowledge gained from the GTC has given me a greater level of credibility with counterparties when discussing various entrepreneurial projects.”
Kase Capital Partners, USA
“I am now recognised by peers to be a true trade specialist. I have a much clearer idea of what other financing techniques are available out there on the market.”
Steve Lim Ah Tock
Trade Operations Manager, Mauritius
“My colleague and I were amazed at the best experience we had while studying and preparing for the GTC Exam….the convenience, enriched study materials and latest case studies.”
EXIM Bank, India
- Develop a foundational understanding of global trade and how companies settle their cross border commercial activities
- Identify risks and what instruments are available to companies to mitigate those risks
- Understand the importance of the documentary letter of credit in enabling trade, the versatility of this proven instrument in addressing a range of market conditions and a variety of client needs
- You will also appreciate the strengths of this unique financial instrument, as well as the weaknesses – and a couple of misconceptions
- You can find details of all our documentary letter of credit courses here
- This course provides a practical overview of the first type of trade financing instrument, which uses shipping documents and bank inter-mediation
- You will learn how to describe the two types of Documentary Collections, portray the cycle in its entirety, and understand the role and perspective of a Relationship Manager in this cycle
- Understand what a Guarantee is and its structure, the importance of using the correct terminology and the key elements needed
- In addition, you will come to understand the abstract and documentary nature of the Guarantee
- Learn how to identify several of the major variations and risks and benefits associated with this form of financing. Our trade finance training will help you get a grasp of the basic concepts
- Get comfortable engaging with your major manufacturer and exporter clients and learn how to spot opportunities to propose Distributor Finance as a potential solution to their needs
- This course will give you a high-level overview of the compliance obligations of financial institutions engaged in trade finance including the “Know Your Customer” requirements
- Our trade finance training will help you understand the implications of sanctions and embargoes on trade finance
- A practical overview of the high-growth area of Supply Chain Finance (SCF)—an emerging proposition in the financing of international commerce which covers the majority of global trade flows
- You will be able to engage effectively and credibly with clients, recognize opportunities to propose SCF techniques as potential solutions to the needs of importers or exporters, and correctly describe the nature of SCF relative to traditional trade financing options such as documentary letters of credit
- Develop a foundational understanding of the mechanisms, dynamics and key issues around international trade, commercial considerations in the pursuit of business across borders, and the linkages between trade, financing and international development
- This trade finance training course will enable you to contribute to trade solutions that incorporate risk distribution techniques and to engage internally on the benefits of risk distribution
- An introduction to the Basel III rules on Capital Adequacy and how Credit Risk and Liquidity Risk is measured
- Gain a solid understanding of the practices and processes necessary to be an effective and productive trade finance sales person, including the key steps to identify, select and prioritize customers and how to prepare for and conduct a successful sales call
- In this course you will gain an understanding of how the basic principles that apply to Documentary Credits of all kinds apply to Standbys, as well as the ways in which Standbys differ from other types of Documentary Credits
- You can find details of all our documentary letter of credit courses here
- Learn how to risk proof yourself against operational losses and reputational risk caused by fraud and explore various fraud prevention techniques
- Additionally, this course will teach you strategies for dealing with fraud if it does hit your organisation
- Live proctored via the internet
- The passing grade is 70% minimum. Upon passing the examination, learners will be issued an accredited certificate for the programme
- You can then use the “GTC” designation
- The GTC certificate is our introductory trade finance training programme and is valid for three years from date you pass the exam
- To re-certify you must earn 20 credits before the three year expiration date
- Credits can be earned by completing other ICC Academy courses or attending ICC Academy events
Get a foundational understanding of the core principles and prohibitions that govern activities and contracts in the Islamic financial system with this separate course. Please note this is not part of the GTC and must be purchased separately.
Who is this certificate for?
- Discover how to confidently articulate the importance of trade finance solutions to your clients and the structures that govern them – including Bank Guarantees, Documentary Collections, Supply Chain Finance, Open Account, Standby Letters of Credit
- Develop solid compliance strategies used by customer relationship managers, front line staff, and hiring managers, including social engineering, hiring due diligence, and careful compensation
- Grasp the tools and techniques available for proper trade finance risk distribution and what makes them different, and why some markets and situations call for specific solutions over others
- Learn how to identify opportunities and prioritize sales activities across companies within a specific territory or portfolio
- A banker’s ability to detect red flags is the first line of defence against fraud. In the GTC programme, we will introduce common red flags, indicating which suggest further investigation and which trigger the need to suspend transactions
- Identify when a letter of a credit is a Documentary Credit or a Standby Letter of Credit and understand when and how UCP600 applies to Standby Letters of Credit.
- Avoid costly mistakes by exploring how (and why) trade finance transactions are reviewed for suspicious activities.
- Gain a better understanding of credit risk, risk weights, capital charges and pricing of trade finance products as well as the principal drivers behind the calculation of capital charges
- Build an understanding of the nuts and bolts of global trade, including the risks related to doing business across borders and the physical supply chain vs the financial supply chain
- Learn how to apply the most relevant documents required to settle a commercial contract.
- Understand the benefits of supply chain finance and the key implications for your business.
- Understand the function of national and cross jurisdictional regulations and the global implications of sanctions and embargoes
- Explore the structure of the global compliance regulatory environment. National and regional regulations vary widely and are subject to change on a regular basis
- Review the general regulatory demands and requirements specifically related to trade finance
- Learn the basics behind trade-based money laundering and the “Three Lines of Defence” model for financial crimes compliance
- Understand the first important steps to be taken after a legitimate/suspected fraud is discovered. What should you avoid?
QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS CERTIFICATE
Students also bought
Certified Trade Finance Professional (CTFP)